Special Network Topics (CCNA) 1
- Course Code: 1872
- Semester: 8th
- Course Type: Scientific Area - Skills Development (SA-SD)
- Course Category: Optional (OP)
- Scientific Field: Communications and Networks (CN)
- Lectures: 2 hours/week
- Lab teaching: 4 hours/week
- ECTS units: 6
- Teching and exams language: Greek
- The course is offered to Erasmus students
- Recommended prerequisite courses: (1701) Δίκτυα Υπολογιστών
- Instructors: Sarigiannidis Antonis
The course aims to provide the student with the necessary knowledge and skills at both theoretical and practical level in order to be able to design, implement and maintain a modern network of a small and medium size enterprise. During the course the student will have a thorough understanding of the network structure and the operation of protocols and networking technologies but will also have the opportunity to gain extensive experience in using and managing network devices (2nd and 3rd layer), to implement complex networking scenarios and tackle all the problems encountered under realistic conditions. By the successful completion of the course the student should be able to:
- Understand and explain the importance of the protocol models and their layers
- Know and make use of the 3rd layer addressing as well as IPv4 and IPv6 subnetting
- Understand the structure of messages and the operation of TCP and UDP protocols
- Know and make use of the VLAN technology
- Know and implement of the static and dynamic routing
- Make use of the basic configuration of the operating system IOS for 2nd and 3rd layer devices (router and switch) both in operation and security level
- Recognize and resolve issues and problems related to the network operation (troubleshooting)
- Applying theoretical knowledge to practice. This is achieved in practice with laboratory exercises and various implementation scenarios.
- Search, analyze and synthesize data and information by using the necessary technologies
- Independent work when solving laboratory exercises
- Cooperation in the preparation of the exercises of each day
- Searching for data and information online
- Criticism and self-criticism ability
- Adaptation to new situations since students are asked to adapt their knowledge and skills to new implemented scenarios
– Analysis of layers, the TCP/IP protocol stack
– Configuration for the operation and security of switching and routing devices
– Design of local networks, operation of Ethernet switched network
– Operation of ARP, ICMP and Ethernet II protocols
– Structure IPv4/IPv6 packets, addressing-subnetting
– Structure and operation of TCP and UDP
– Design and implementation of Virtual LANs (VLANs)
– Static and dynamic routing (RIPv2)
– Design and implementation of access control mechanisms (Control Access Lists)
– Design and implementation of DHCP and NAT
Teaching Methods - Evaluation
- Face to face lectures
- Discussion of the studied issues and scenarios
- Resolving problems in practical scenarios
Use of ICT means
- Use of the on-line platform netacad.com for the instruction of the course.
- Use of presentation software.
- Use of learning platform (Moodle).
- Communication with students through electronic means (email, announcement dashboards).
|Practice training at home||26|
The student's evaluation includes the assessment of the laboratory part on a week basis and the final written examination.
- Assessment of the laboratory part (40%)
The evaluation is performed by using the on-line platform netacad.com and it includes multiple choice questions, exercises, troubleshooting as well as implementation of protocols and technologies for use scenarios. The language of the assessment is English.
- Final written examination (60%)
It includes the assessment of both the theoretical and the practical parts of the course. It includes questions that require short answers, multiple choice questions and exercises. The language of the final examination is Greek/English.
The evaluation criteria are listed in the course’s webpage in the learning platform (Moodle) and are explained to the students in the classroom.
Recommended Bibliography through "Eudoxus"
- Wendell Odom, "Δίκτυα Υπολογιστών: Το Πρώτο Βήμα ", Εκδόσεις Κλειδάριθμος, 2006, ISBN: 960-209-940-2, Κωδικός Βιβλίου στον Εύδοξο: 13653
- Steve McQuerry, "CCNA Αυτοδιδασκαλία : CCNA Αυτοδιδασκαλία : Διασύνδεση Συσκευών Δικτύου Cisco (ICND)", Εκδόσεις Κλειδάριθμος, 2006, ISBN: 960-209-914-3, Κωδικός Βιβλίου στον Εύδοξο: 13529
Complementary greek bibliography
- Steve McQuerry, "CCNA Αυτοδιδασκαλία : CCNA Αυτοδιδασκαλία : Διασύνδεση Συσκευών Δικτύου Cisco (ICND)", Εκδόσεις Κλειδάριθμος, 2006, 960-209-914-3
- Tanenbaum Andrew S. , Wetherall David J., "Δίκτυα Υπολογιστών", Εκδόσεις Κλειδάριθμος, 2012, 9789604614479
- Συλλογικό έργο , Doherty Jim , Anderson Neil , Della Maggiora Paul, "Ο οδηγός της Cisco για τη δικτύωση", Εκδόσεις Κλειδάριθμος, 2006, 960-209-914-3, 2010, 9789604613960
Complementary international bibliography
- Wendell Odom, Sean Wilkins, "CCNA Routing and Switching 200-125 Official Cert Guide and Network Simulator Library", Cisco Press, 2017, 1-58720-610-2
- Wendell Odom, Sean Wilkins, "CCENT ICND1 100-105 Official Cert Guide and Network Simulator Library", Cisco Press, 2017, 1-58720-609-9
- Allan Johnson, "31 Days Before Your CCNA Routing & Switching Exam: A Day-By-Day Review Guide for the ICND1/CCENT (100-105), ICND2 (200-105), and CCNA (200-125) Certification Exams", Cisco Press, 2017, 1-58720-590-4
- Wendell Odom, "CCENT/CCNA, ICDN1 100-105 Official Cert Guide",Cisco Press, 2016, 1-58720-580-7
- Ramon Nastase, "Cisco CCNA Command Guide (Volume 2)", CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform, 2018, 1721913246 9781721913244
- Archana, C. (2015). Analysis of RIPv2, OSPF, EIGRP Configuration on router Using CISCO Packet tracer. International journal of Engineering science and innovative technology (IJESIT) volume, 4.
- Prasad, N. H., Reddy, B. K., Amarnath, B., & Puthanial, M. (2016). Intervlan Routing and Various Configurations on Vlan in a Network using Cisco Packet Tracer 6.2. International Journal for Innovative Research in Science and Technology, 2(11), 749-758.
- Alimi, I. A., & Mufutau, A. O. (2015). Enhancement of network performance of an enterprises network with VLAN. American Journal of Mobile Systems, Applications and Services, 1(2), 82-93.
- Verma, A., & Bhardwaj, N. (2016). A review on routing information protocol (RIP) and open shortest path first (OSPF) routing protocol. International Journal of Future Generation Communication and Networking, 9(4), 161-170.