The Department has established and operates in accordance with Law 4485/2017 (Government Gazette 114/issue A/04-08-2017) “Organization and operation of higher education, research arrangements and other provisions” four Research Laboratories. In their internal operation rules, the specified activities of each laboratory include (a) the promotion of science and the support of conducting research to cover the teaching needs of the Department in the knowledge areas (and the corresponding Learning Sections) of each Laboratory. In summary, the five Research Laboratories and the corresponding Learning Sections that each one provides are as follows:
Information Management & Software Engineering (IMSE) Laboratory
The Information Management & Software Engineering Laboratory is an active research group engaged in research in the fields of Data Science, Software Science, Software Engineering, Exploratory Data Analysis, Data Analytics, Distributed Data Mining, Data Mining and Web Mining, Big Data Analytics and Mining, Temporal and Spatial Data Processing Methods, Retrieving Information from Databases, Bibliometrics, Scientometrics, Science of Science, Structures, Models and Databases, Distributed Databases, Data Warehouses, Recommended Systems, Interactive Systems, Empirical Studies in Object-Oriented Technology, Software and Flexible Methods, Quality, Reliability and Software Evaluation Metrics, Heuristic Rules.
Intelligent Systems Laboratory
Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence, Logical Programming, Intelligent Systems, Evolutionary Computation, Hypermedia Systems, Semantic Web, Digital Libraries, Information Seeking and Retrieval, Intelligent User Interfaces, Web Accessibility, Digital Signal and Image Processing, Parallel Processing, Distributed Systems, Data Mining, Distance Learning.
Applied Industrial Mathematics and Operational Reasearch Lab
The mission of the laboratory can be summarized as follows:
- To promote developments in the disciplines of Applied and Industrial Mathematics, Statistics, Operational Research, Decision Analysis and Project Management, as well as the development of
- Algorithms and Software with applications in these subjects.
- To support the teaching needs of the Department in the fields of Calculus, Linear Algebra, Discrete Mathematics, Numerical Analysis, Probability and Statistics, Operational Research,
- Optimization Methods and Project Management.
- To promote the dissemination of results obtained through postgraduate/doctoral dissertations and facilitation of internships through collaboration.
- To support and coordinate the implementation of funded research projects in the fields of Applied Mathematics and Operational Research.
- To promote cooperation with other academic Institutions and research centers in Greece or abroad.
- To disseminate research results and activities of its members in national or international conferences and in reputable scientific journals.
Advanced Electronic Systems Laboratory
Promote science in the advanced subjects of advanced electronic systems, as they are shaped by current scientific developments and market requirements that include embedded systems and electronic systems for metering, energy, control and communications. In the above disciplines research activities are related to the measurement, analysis, design, development and optimization of mathematical, algorithmic, experimental, empirical or other methods at the hardware or software level as well as the development, management and control of relevant international and national standards and specifications.