- Course Code: 1974
- Semester: 9th
- Course Type: Scientific Area (SA)
- Course Category: Optional (OP)
- Scientific Field: Communications and Networks (CN)
- Lectures: 4 hours/week
- ECTS units: 6
- Teching and exams language: Greek
- The course is offered to Erasmus students
- Recommended prerequisite courses: (1101) Mathematics Ι, (1201) Mathematics II, (1104) Electronic Physics, (1402) Telecommunication Systems
- Coordinator: Marmorkos Ioannis
Introduces the student to the technology of satellite systems, communications, and satellite channel links. After the successfull completion of the course the student will be able to:
- To understand and analyze the structure of various satellite systems.
- To describe the parameters which determine the mechanics of satellite orbits and affect the quality of satellite communication links.
- To design the appropriate methodologies for the study and development of satellite links for the provision of particular services
- To compare the performace of various satellite systems and to select the optimum satellite constellation for a particular service.
- To understand the fundamental laws of physics and principles of engineering for the signal transmission of satellite communication systems.
- To monitor and study the international sccientific literature on the subject and the standards of relevant International Organizations.
- Decision making
- Working independently
- Group working
- Develop a free and creational thinking
Introduction to satellite communications, historical evolution and standards of International Organizations.
Mechanics of satellite orbits, geostationary orbit
Structure and architecture of satellite systems, on Earth satellite stations.
Transmission of satellite signals, analysis and design of satellite links
Satellite networks (architectures and topologies), satellite systems for DVB, DTH, VSAT networks
Satellite systems for mobile communication services, satellite systems for location and navigation services (GPS).
Teaching Methods - Evaluation
- Classroom lecturing, meetings with students to discuss questions and solve problems
Use of ICT means
- Lecture Notes and power point slide presentations available in electronic form (in greek).
- Use of an asynchronous learning platform (Moodle).
|Individual study and analysis of literature||104|
|Preparation for laboratory exercises||24|
Final written exam in class
Recommended Bibliography through "Eudoxus"
- Pratt Timothy,Bostian Charles, W. Allnutt "Satellite Communications", ISBN-13: 978-0471370079, J.Wiley, 2002
- Maral Gerard., Bousquet Michel, "Satellite Communication Systems," ISBN-13: 978-0470714584 , 5th ed. J.Wiley
Complementary international bibliography
- Μ. O. Kolawole, “Satellite Communications Engineering”, Marcel Dekker Inc. 2002, ISBN 0-8247-0777-X
- D. Roddy, “Satellite Communications”, 3rd ed. McGraw-Hill Telecom Engineering, 2001, ISBN 0-07-137176-1.
- B.Elbert, “The Satellite Communication Application Handbook”, 2nd ed. Artech House Inc. 2004, ISBN: 1-58053-490-2