- Course Code: 1975
- Semester: 9th
- Course Type: Scientific Area (SA)
- Course Category: Optional (OP)
- Scientific Field: Communications and Networks (CN)
- Lectures: 4 hours/week
- ECTS units: 6
- Teching and exams language: Greek
- The course is offered to Erasmus students
- Recommended prerequisite courses: (1701) Computer Networks, (1505) Human Machine Interaction
- Instructors: Volioti Christina
The main objective of the course is to cover the theoretical background that is essential for the understanding of the technologies, architectures and challenges of Multimedia with emphasis on the transmission of multimedia information. By the successful completion of the course the student should be able to:
- Describe and define the characteristics of the media as well as the multimedia and systems.
- Describe the particular characteristics, standards and technologies that are related with the various media.
- Distinguish the particular characteristics of the media such as sound, image, video and the analog/digital TV.
- Explain the basic coding media techniques.
- Define and describe the network demands of the multimedia as well as of the technologies for the transmission of multimedia information through Internet.
- Explain the issues related with quality or service and quality of experience as well as with the mechanisms for the transmission of multimedia with guaranteed quality.
- Search, analysis and synthesis of information by using the appropriate means and technology
- Independent and cooperative work
- Criticism and self-criticism ability
- Promote of free, creative and inductive thinking
– The features of media, applications and multimedia systems.
– The nature and characteristics of media (audio, video, analogue/digital television).
– Information theory, mean information and entropy.
– Coding principles (types of coding, entropy coding).
– Multimedia synchronization issues.
– Network media: multicast, multimedia transmission protocols (RTP/RTCP/SIP), multimedia streaming, best-effort services.
– Quality of Service (QoS), network flow and congestion control, Integrated (and Differentiated (IntServ/ DiffServ) services.
– The role of coding, compression and real-time protocols.
– Real-time applications and services using the Internet (VoIP, VoD, integrated voice, data and compressed video services).
– Quality of Experience (QoE), objective/subjective assessment.
– Modern telematics applications in education, medicine and administration.
Teaching Methods - Evaluation
- Face to face lectures.
- Laboratory exercises in small size student groups.
Use of ICT means
- Use of ICT means
- Use of presentation software
- Use of learning platform (Moodle)
- Communication with students through electronic means (email, announcement dashboards)
|Writing and presenting compulsory work||70|
|Individual study and analysis of literature||58|
Α. Semester Project (SP) (50%)
- The project requires the investigation and study of up-to-date and reliable related research literature. The deliverables are a written essay of 2500-3000 words and a public presentation of 20 minutes duration.
- The topics, specifications and evaluation criteria of the project are announced after the second teaching week.
Β. Final written examination (FΕ) (50%)
- Multiple choice questions
- True/false questions
- Questions that require short answers
The final score of the course (SP*0.5+ FΕ*0.5) should be at least five (5). Moreover, both SP and FE individual scores should be at least five (5).
The evaluation criteria are listed in the course’s webpage in the learning platform (Moodle) and are explained to the students in the classroom.
Recommended Bibliography through "Eudoxus"
- Γ. Στυλιαράς, Β. Δήμου και Δ. Ζευγώλης, «Τεχνολογία Πολυμέσων», ΕΚΔΟΣΕΙΣ Α. ΤΖΙΟΛΑ & ΥΙΟΙ Α.Ε., 2019, ISBN: 978-960-418-364-7, Κωδικός Βιβλίου στον Εύδοξο: 86053439.
- Γ.Β. Ξυλωμένος και Γ.Κ. Πολύζος, «Τεχνολογία Πολυμέσων και Πολυμεσικές Επικοινωνίες», ΕΚΔΟΣΕΙΣ ΚΛΕΙΔΑΡΙΘΜΟΣ, 2009, ISBN: 978-960-461-262-8, Κωδικός Βιβλίου στον Εύδοξο: 13914.
Complementary greek bibliography
- Π. Χατζημίσιος, “Δικτυακά Πολυμέσα (Διαδικτυακή Τηλεφωνία - Voice over IP)”, Ελληνικό Ανοικτό Πανεπιστήμιο (Ε.Α.Π.), 2009.
- Σ. Δημητριάδης, Α. Πομπόρτσης και Ε. Τριανταφύλλου, «Τεχνολογία πολυμέσων», ΕΚΔΟΣΕΙΣ Α. ΤΖΙΟΛΑ & ΥΙΟΙ Α.Ε., 2004, ISBN: 978-960-418-025-7.
Complementary international bibliography
- Chang Wen Chen, Periklis Chatzimisios, Tasos Dagiuklas and Luigi Atzori, “Quality of Experience (QoE): Current Status and Future Trends”, (in press), Wiley Press, 2014.
- J.D.Gibson, ed.. “Multimedia Communications: Directions and Innovations”, Academic Press, 2001.
- F.Halsall, “Multimedia Communications”, Addison-Wesley, 2001.
- Z.N.Li and M.S. Drew, “Fundamentals of Multimedia”, Prentice Hall, 2004.
- IEEE Transactions on Multimedia
- IEEE Internet of Things journal
- IEEE Internet of Things Magazine
- ΙΕΕΕ Communications Magazine
- IEEE Wireless Communications Magazine
- IEEE Transactions on Communications
- IEEE Communications Surveys and Tutorials