Optoelectronics and Optical Communications
- Course Code: 1672
- Semester: 6th
- Course Type: Scientific Area - Skills Development (SA-SD)
- Course Category: Optional (OP)
- Scientific Field: Communications and Networks (CN)
- Lectures: 2 hours/week
- Lab teaching: 2 hours/week
- ECTS units: 6
- Teching and exams language: Greek
- The course is offered to Erasmus students
- Recommended prerequisite courses: (1104) Electronic Physics, (1101) Mathematics Ι, (1201) Mathematics II
Introduces the student to the basic notions of optoelectronic devices, their structure, principles of operation, the field of their applications and technological evolution. After the completion of the course the student will be able to:
- To analyze the structure of modern electronic devices and the architecture of electronic systems based on optoelectronic devices as well
- To describe the basic principles of operation of devices like semiconductor junction diodes, transistors, light emitting diodes (LEDs), photodetectors, LASERs, optical modulators and amplifiers, optical fibers and elements of the fiber-optic networks.
- To develop basic optoelectronic systems determining those elements which are necessary for their implementation
- To understand the physical laws which underlie the operation of optoelectronic devices
- To calculate the crucial factors which determine the operation of optoelectronic devices
- To assess the performance of optoelectronic devices and systems.
- To understand and properly usde the scientific terminology of the field, so he/she be able to prepare technical reports involving optoelectronic devices and systems.
- Decision making
- Working independently
- Group working
- Develop a free and creational thinking
Introduction-technologies of constructing modern semiconductor devices
Electronic properties of materials, energy band theory in solids , metals-inslators-semiconductors, theory of semiconductor junctions.
Optical properties of semiconductors-Interaction of light with semiconductors
Modern optoelectronic devicces for light detection
Nooise in photodetectors
Light Emitting Diode (LED)
LASER, optical modulators and optical amplifiers
Fiber optic wave guides, Optical communication systems, optical transmitters and receivers, Optical filters and amplifiers, wavelength devision multiplexing (WDM), fiber optic sensors.
Teaching Methods - Evaluation
- Classroom lecturing, meetings with students to discuss questions and solve problems
Use of ICT means
- Lecture Notes and power point slide presentations available in electronic form (in greek).
- Use of an asynchronous learning platform (Moodle).
|Individual study and analysis of literature||90|
|Preparation for laboratory exercises||38|
Ι. Final written exam in class (70%)
ΙΙ. Lab Reports (30%)
To pass the course the student should receive a total grade at least 5 (the passing grade for cases I and II should be at least 4)
Recommended Bibliography through "Eudoxus"
- John Wilson, John Hawkes, Optoelectronics: An Introduction (3rd Edition) ,Prentice Hall; 1998; ISBN-13: 978-0131039612
- Singh Jasprit, Electronic and Optoelectronic Properties of Semiconductor Structures', Cambridge University Press; 1 edition (March 26, 2007) ISBN-13: 978-0521035743
Complementary greek bibliography
- (Ελληνικά) M. Young, "Οπτική και Laser", Έκδ. 1η/2008 ISBN: 978-960-254-675-8
- Εκδότης: ΕΘΝΙΚΟ ΜΕΤΣΟΒΙΟ ΠΟΛΥΤΕΧΝΕΙΟ